Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mar 13th 2012 - An Interview with Pete Johnson of Tatuaje Cigars

Today I'm continuing the running series of 1 interview a week with a handful of people in the cigar industry who have been very supportive of me and my blog. These are in no particular order although today's was featured a day late on the 13th to keep in tradition of the Monster Series with their 13 theme. Today brings us Pete Johnson of Tatuaje Cigars and I'll be featuring The Wolfman.

DCB Question 1:
What was it that you made you decide you wanted to be a part of the cigar industry and how did you start?

PJ: The second i walked into a cigar store, everyone was so cool and welcoming...It's like a big family.

DCB Question2:
Pete you are very well known for your limited releases. I know a lot of people are frustrated by this and what most people don't realize is that you are as well. What is it about the limited release that you do love and is the driving force behind it?

PJ: I love experimenting with tobacco.....Some limited release are meant to be fun and to help drive hype around the brand. There is no shortage of tobacco. Things like La Verite and some small batch things are that because of the rarity of the tobacco or certain components. Those are the real interesting ones because i need to know how much of a certain leaf i have to use and that determines the amount of release....

DCB Question 3:
I'm a huge horror film buff and Halloween is my favorite holiday so I have to ask what is the scoop on #5 The Mummy?

PJ: The Mummy will be a longer, thinner version of what people are used to seeing from the monsters...Maybe a little throw back to Frank... 7 3/4 x 47...in a blend very reminiscent to the Black label....

DCB Question 4:
What is your favorite part of creating a cigar from scratch?

PJ: Favorite part is tasting the first sample to see how close I came to recreating what was in my head.......

DCB Question 5:
What are you most excited about for Tatuaje in 2012?

PJ: I most excited to get to 2013....I am looking forward to releasing a redux of the original Black label Corona Gorda to celebrate my 10th anniversary and also to releasing the La Verite 2010....

If I had to pick one release this year, I would say the Little Monsters...That's a fun project.....

DCB: Thanks for your time and support of the blog Pete! It's been an honor to have this interview with you.

Today brings us Tatuaje's The Wolfman in its only vitola a 7.5x52 Torpedo. The Wolfman is the 4th cigar in Pete Johnson's famed Halloween Series. The Wolfman features a Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper with its binder and fillers coming from Nicaraguan. The construction is amazing on this cigar all the way from the shaggy foot to the head. The Wolfman is very complex from start to finish. Starting with its first flavor notes of oak, chocolate and slight pepper that develop into a sweet oak, spice and earth with hints of dark coffee and nuts.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment